Not Your Average Fellowship
The Impact Academy fellowship is designed to build deans’ leadership skills and create a network of deans focused on collective action and support for one another. Typical leadership programming focuses on nuts-and-bolts training for budgeting or accreditation. Impact Academy goes beyond brass tacks to provide skills, knowledge, and strategies to help solve the complicated problems deans face. We are currently reviewing applications for Impact Academy 2018 on a rolling basis; click here to learn more.
Impact Academy, designed in collaboration with our member deans, will increase the leadership skills of fellows through an initial in-person experience and ongoing support from their peers and experienced deans. Impact Academy has four primary learning objectives:
- Fellows will develop greater self-awareness as a leader, building a better understanding of their context, their personal values, their leadership skills, and their socio-emotional responses to others.
- Fellows will develop a vision for an educator preparation program that engages and cuts across four levels of the organization: teacher candidates, faculty, K-12 school partners, and community stakeholders.
- Fellows will understand processes, structures, and systems that promote individual and organizational learning.
- Fellows will learn strategies to manage individuals and organizations through improvement efforts in educator preparation.
Over the course of the year-long fellowship, fellows will participate in in-person sessions, receive ongoing leadership coaching, and develop and implement plans to improve their educator-preparation programs.
- Fellows will convene for two in-person sessions: a four-day session in July 2018 and a one-day session in July 2019. During these sessions, fellows will diagnose their teacher-preparation programs and their leadership, engage in case-study discussions around common leadership challenges, and develop a plan to address a problem of practice.
- Fellows will extend their learning by completing individual modules that help apply lessons of leadership to their specific organizational contexts.
- Fellows will receive ongoing leadership coaching from experienced member deans during the academic year.
- Fellows will develop a network of peers committed to improving educator preparation, and have structured opportunities to connect with and support each other.
Meet Our Fellows
In 2017, we welcomed 17 fellows into the second Impact Academy cohort. Our 2017 fellows come from programs in 13 different states and Washington D.C., and together their programs enroll about 7,400 teacher-candidates. Meet the 2017 Impact Academy Fellows
The inaugural Impact Academy in summer 2016 welcomed 11 fellows from diverse institutions. See the 2016 Impact Academy Fellows
Who Should Apply
We’re committed to building a diverse cohort – one that represents a range of institutions and educator preparation programs in this country. Impact Academy Fellows are leaders with a strong interest in their own growth and in the learning of those they lead.
- You are dean of a school of education or educator-preparation program.
- You have a strong orientation towards, and interest in, learning alongside others.
- You can commit to participating in all Impact Academy activities over the 2018-2019 academic year.
The fee for the year-long fellowship is $3,000. This includes all materials, breakfast, and lunch for the in-person sessions.
*Scholarships are available for leaders of institutions who can demonstrate significant financial need.